Thursday, September 4, 2008

Concert Going 101 Part 2

I'm back for Part 2 of Concert Going 101. This time I'll be talking about how to act while in the crowd of a show.

Unless you're at the venue super early to get in the front, you're going to have to make your way up close. There are a couple of ways this can be done.

The first way is to push through the crowd relentlessly, my friends and I used to do this when we first started going to shows. Most of the time the people surrounding you get really angry, I almost punched a girl in the head once!

DO NOT try to use the age-old excuse "My (insert family member or friend here) is up there I need to find them." It's the oldest trick in the book.

Instead of getting to the front by being rude, be nice about it. If people look like they're staying in the same spot the whole night work your way around them, just don't block their view. Also, wait till the bands actually start playing and the crowd starts moving, this will allow spaces to open up and you to move in closer.

Moshing, and crowd-surfing are pretty much inevitable at a show. There's no real way to prevent it other than to move away from the people who start the mosh pit. I've been hit in the head plenty of times by random crowd surfers, so don't get angry if you get a Chuck Taylor to the head, just help them along the sea of hands.

One thing that's always bothered me is when people cheer for no reason. Unless you think the stage crew is doing an awesome sound check, save the clapping until the performer(s) take the stage, you don't want to wear yourself out too soon.

That's all for this section of Concert Guidelines. Stayed tuned for the third and final instalment.

1 comment:

kevmcmill said...

Funny thing...I took my sister to see All Time Low, Rocket Summer, FTSK, and a couple others for her 15th birthday and I used the "age old excuse" that my sister was up front and I needed to get to her. It was the truth though. I had to pee right before it started and when I got back I was already six rows further back than I was before. So I told people my little sister was up there and I needed to get to her. The response...a sarcastic "right" and dirty looks. Unfortunately, this was my first sweat-on-your-neighbor concert so I was unaware this was an exhausted excuse. Wish I woulda known that before hand.