Thursday, September 18, 2008

Girl Power!

Girls are everywhere. Really they are. Especially in music. Within the past year more women than ever have made their way into the music scene.

I've never been advocate for Women's Rights and gender equality, which may be bad because I am a woman, but nevertheless I actually like that so many female vocalists are out right now.

I was thinking of new music to download and when I made my list, all but two of the artists were women. When I watch late night vH1 music videos (one of my favorite things) I see an abundance of female singers.

Three of my favorites right now are Duffy, Kate Nash, and Adele. They all have a very different sound, but their lyrical content is amazing, and definitely worth listening to.

Even in my World Music class there are a lot of women from different cultures who play music just as well, if not better than the men. We watched a video of Liu Fang a Chinese Pipa player, and she blew my mind. The instrument she plays looks incredibly difficult but she makes it look like tying your shoes.

So look out boys, the girls are making their way to the top.

No comments: